Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My grandmother used to make this for us all of the time. I found her recipe in her old card file, covered in dough and oil splotches. Made it for my daddy and he almost cried. I hope ya'll enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1 (18 ounce) package Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package Jell-O instant lemon pudding
- 1 (16 ounce) can fruit cocktail
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup oleo
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- Blend cake mix and instant lemon pudding mix together with mixer.
- Add fruit cocktail, coconut and oil, then beat eggs until foamy and add to cake mixture.
- Pour into 13 x 9 inch greased cake pan.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup light brown sugar and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Frosting: Mix oleo, granulated sugar and evaporated milk; boil for 2 minutes; stir in 1 1/2 cups coconut. Cool slightly and pour on top of baked cake.