Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This was the first recipe I ever tried out on my first husband when we were dating. He swore that this was one of the reasons he married me.... This is a VERY rich version of banana pudding and it takes a little while to make, but it is OH SO GOOD! Your family will love this, I promise!
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring
- 1 (12 ounce) package vanilla wafers
- 4 large bananas
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- In the top of a double boiler, combing the first three ingredients and mix well.
- Gradually add the milk and stir until well blended.
- Bring the water in the bottom of your double boiler to a rolling boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook the sugar/flour/milk mixture until it thickens;stirring constantly so that it does not stick or burn.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks until thick and light yellow.
- Taking about 1/2 cup of the hot flour/sugar/milk mixture, "temper" it by adding some of it to the beaten egg yolks; stir well.
- Add the egg mixture back in to the sugar/flour/milk mixture and continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes desired thickness.
- Remove this from the heat and add the first 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla flavoring.
- In an ungreased 3 quart baking dish, layer 1/4 of the vanilla wafers.
- Peel and slice one banana and layer it over the wafers.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the pudding mixture over the bananas.
- Repeat this three more times using the wafers, then bananas, then pudding mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites at high speed until they become foamy.
- Gradually add the 1/4 cup sugar about a tablespoon at a time until soft peaks form in the meringue (this takes 3-4 minute to allow time for the sugar to dissolve).
- Add the 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and beat well.
- Spread the meringue over the pudding making sure to get it all the way to the edges of the pan to "seal" it.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
ok i subbed egg beaters for egg yolk and used whites skim milk and low fat vanilla wafers this was good recipe dee