This was the first recipe I ever tried out on my first husband when we were dating. He swore that this was one of the reasons he married me.... This is a VERY rich version of banana pudding and it takes a little while to make, but it is OH SO GOOD! Your family will love this, I promise!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In the top of a double boiler, combing the first three ingredients and mix well.
- 2Gradually add the milk and stir until well blended.
- 3Bring the water in the bottom of your double boiler to a rolling boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook the sugar/flour/milk mixture until it thickens;stirring constantly so that it does not stick or burn.
- 4In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks until thick and light yellow.
- 5Taking about 1/2 cup of the hot flour/sugar/milk mixture, "temper" it by adding some of it to the beaten egg yolks; stir well.
- 6Add the egg mixture back in to the sugar/flour/milk mixture and continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes desired thickness.
- 7Remove this from the heat and add the first 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla flavoring.
- 8In an ungreased 3 quart baking dish, layer 1/4 of the vanilla wafers.
- 9Peel and slice one banana and layer it over the wafers.
- 10Pour 1/4 cup of the pudding mixture over the bananas.
- 11Repeat this three more times using the wafers, then bananas, then pudding mixture.
- 12In a small bowl, beat the egg whites at high speed until they become foamy.
- 13Gradually add the 1/4 cup sugar about a tablespoon at a time until soft peaks form in the meringue (this takes 3-4 minute to allow time for the sugar to dissolve).
- 14Add the 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and beat well.
- 15Spread the meringue over the pudding making sure to get it all the way to the edges of the pan to "seal" it.
- 16Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nee's Old Timey Cooked Banana Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.1
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 117.1 mg
- Sodium 346.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 36.2 g
- Protein 9.5 g