Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is another one of those good grandma recipes. She passed this reciped down to 3 generations before she was no longer able to cook. Now we cook it for her.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- Combine dry ingredients.
- In separate bowl, combine eggs, milk and oil.
- Mix wet ingredients in with dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into well greased cast iron skillet and bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes until outside in slightly brown and middle is set.
- You can make these in muffin cups or in cornstick pans also, but will need to adjust cooking time.
Good! We enjoyed it, thanks for the recipe!
This is delicious cornbread! I cooked mine in a regular baking dish instead of cast iron, for about 5 minutes longer than specified. This cornbread is very light and moist with a wonderful texture. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
This was very good. I've never made cornbread with yeast before!!