Recipe by cookiecutter _
A popular dish in South India- this works well using leftover rice. This recipe is from Lite and Luscious Cuisine of India by Madhu Gadia. The listed serving size is 1/3 cup and counts as 1 starch exchange.
- 1 cup long grain rice, cooked
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6 -8 curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon channa dal
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice and cool slightly.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat and add mustard seeds. Cover to avoid splattering until mustard seeds stop popping. Add curry leaves and chana dal. Cook for a few seconds until dal is light brown. Remove from heat and stir in cayenne pepper (if using), and turmeric. A few seconds later add lemon juice.
- Add rice and salt. Mix gently to avoid breaking rice. Return to stove and heat through.
- Serve cold or warm.