Recipe by CookingLaura
I copied this from foodnetwork.com because I wanted to know the nutritional information. I haven't tried it yet as it's cooking now, but it smells great!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced into quarters then lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup beer
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce, I used Jack Daniels
- 4 hoagie rolls
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the sausages and brown on all sides, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from skillet and reserve.
- Add onions and peppers to the skillet and saute until tender and golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant. Stir in the tomato paste, beer, and BBQ sauce. Cook for a few minutes, then add the sausages back to the pan. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce is nice and thick, about 10 minutes.
- Slice the bread open, put on sheet tray, and toast in the oven while the sausage is simmering. Remove the bread from the oven and fill with the sausages and peppers.
- Transfer to serving dishes and serve.