Another delicious recipe from today's episode of Down Home with the Neelys - and since I love baked mac and cheese, I need to try this now too! Looks FAB!!!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk, warm
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 dash salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta, cooked al dente
- 1 cup potato chips, crushed
- 5 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated for topping
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large saucepot over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the warmed milk and bring to a boil, continue to whisk constantly. The mixture will thicken as the heat increases. Continue to stir while adding the dry mustard, nutmeg, cayenne, salt, pepper, hot sauce and Worcestershire.
- Stir in the 3 cups of Cheddar until it melts.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and add to a 3 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the chips, bacon and Parmesan on top and bake for 35 minutes.