Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "Down Home with the Neely's.
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil, for sauteeing
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper, fresh ground
- 680.38 g asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 29.58 ml dill leaves, fresh chopped
- 236.59 ml gruyere cheese, grated
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 354.88 ml panko breadcrumbs
- 14.79 ml paprika, smoked
- 59.16 ml butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions and garlic; saute until translucent and fragrant and season with salt and pepper. Add the asparagus and saute until just tender. Remove rom heat and let cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, dill and cheeses.
- In a separate bowl, add panko, paprika and butter. Mix well to combine.
- Place asparagus in casserole dish. Pour the egg mixture over the asparagus and top with the panko, spreading evenly.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake until casserole is set and the bread crumbs are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Delicious ! I made the recipe as directed using 2 pounds of asparagus. I will make this again.
What a great way to fatten up asparagus! It's worth the calorie splurge. I suppose you could make it with milk or half and half but it would not be the same. I made this as written, using fresh, thin stalks of asparagus. You may even get people who don't like asparagus to love this. Thanx for sharing!
I made this for our friends Spring wedding last year, and just got a recipe request for Easter dinner. Everyone LOVED it! Will make again. I tripled the recipe and made in large disposable baking pan, so I had to bake longer. The BEST asparagus dish I've ever had. Thank you for posting:)