Recipe by lizzy smith
This recipe is over 100 years old. It is very Australian. It was my great grandmother Marry Elizabeth Kelly (and yes she was related to the grate Ned Kelly). Hope you love it as much as we do. :)(:
- 1 kg diced beef
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1⁄4 red capsicum (diced)
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups barbecue sauce (fountain if poss)
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 medium potatoes (peeled and cut into quarters)
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornflour, for thickening
- 1 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat some oil in large heavy based pot add beef and onion.
- Fry until brown add capsicum and stir a little. Add about 6 cups of water,tomato sauce, barbecue sauce and veggies and then cook for 1 1/2 hours until the beef is completely tender.
- After the meat is tender add potatoes.
- Dumplings: Aside get a large mixing bowl and mix self raising flour and salt together adding milk till mixture is stiff and gooey.
- Spoon out 1 lump of mixture on the top of the stew and then another do this till all mixture is in balls on top of the stew. Place a tight lid on and cook for 15 minutes until the dumplings are cooked.
- You can also check by putting a sharp knife into one of the dumplings. If it comes out clean there done.
- Get the corn flour and mix with just enough water to make a paste add to stew little at a time to thicken when it is thick enough discard the rest.
- Serve with dumplings. Mmm, very very nice, real Australian out back dinner--Enjoy!
- This recipe is awesome in a slow cooker!