Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
I made this for my fiancée. It was his favorite dish when we met. I found the original recipe from a book called "The African American Kitchen."
- 2 lbs pork necks (cracked and washed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups broth
- 1 cup pinto beans (optional)
- Add vegetable stock to crock pot.
- Add thyme, salt, and neck bones.
- Remove outer layers of onion and discard.
- Slice onion into quarters and put in crock pot.
- Cook on low 7-8 hours.
- Stir occasionally.
- *To serve with pinto beans.
- Wash pinto beans and soak over night.
- Remove neckbones from crock pot.
- Discard bones.
- Set aside in medium sauce pot.
- Remove half the soup from the crock pot and pour over the neckbones.
- Refrigerate neckbones.
- Add beans to soup mixture in the crock pot.
- Cook on low 3-5 hours.
- This is usually ready when I return home from work.
- Heat up the neckbones on the stove and serve.
This recipe deserves at least four and a half stars. I tweaked it slightly by adding black beans and pinto beans and used beef neck bones and potatoes. I also used beef broth instead of water. That made it a 5 star dish for me.