My Grandmother was a most excellent cook. This was one of her country favorites. She left a note with this recipe saying that it is good with cornbread or hushpuppies and she is right!
- Wash neck bones in warm water and 1/2 Tablespoon salt.
- Put neck bones in a large pot filled halfway with hot water and 1 tablespoon salt.
- Boil 30 minutes.
- While neck bones are cooking, cut the long stalks off the greens and remove any yellow leaves.
- Wash the greens in lots of cold water twice.
- When the neck bones have cooked 30 minutes, add all the greens, pour some bacon drippings or fatback grease over them for extra seasoning.
- Cover and turn burner down on low to simmer.
- Cook until greens are tender. (approximately 1 hour).
- Put in colander to drain. Tip*** Take a small saucer and push on the greens to get most of the water content out. You may have to pick some bones out because the neck bones some times fall apart. Cooking them in some type of bag (cheesecloth?) might help but I don't do that.
- You can cut them up how you like. I use a Hand Chopper. I like mine chopped fine but you can chop to your liken.