Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This a VERY similar recipe (that I found online) to the Neatloaf served at Sri Chinmoy restaurants around the country. It is so good. It is my fav. thing at the restaurant. You can eat it alone or on a sandwich with tomatoes and lettuce, etc.) ENJOY! NOTE**** not sure if Lipton onion soup mix is veggie but you can also use any other veggie dry soup mix that doesn't have beef bouillon - check at your grocery store for vegetarian dry soup mixes - OR try one of these recipezaar recipes for onion soup mix substituting beef bouillon with vegetable bouillon #186221 or #24952 (FYI - After I posted this another Zaar member (thanks philocrates) - wrote to let me know that Lipton Onion Soup is vegan after all - http://www.petakids.com/accvegan.html)
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup Lipton Onion Soup Mix (1 whole packet measures 1/4 cup you can use all, or I like slightly less, about 2/3 of package)
- 1⁄3 lb low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1⁄3 lb firm tofu (mashed into small pieces)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil, of choice
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- 4 cups Special K cereal
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic
For the Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄8 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄8 cup apple cider vinegar (1/8 -1/4 depending on taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Saute onions and garlic (in small amount of oil).
- Beat eggs in bowl, and then add all ingredients except Special K.
- Mix well, then add Special K last.
- Put in pan that is sprayed with cooking oil (I use 7x9 pan because I don't have a meatloaf pan but you could use either or even 8x8 would probably be great).
- Bake 1 hour.
- While Neatloaf cooks prepare sauce, whisking together all sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Remove loaf from oven, pour sauce over the loaf and cook an additional 10 minutes.
Good and simple to make. I have to say I didn't care much for the sauce on top, but the loaf itself was good! This will be a fun recipe to play around with. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
This is absolutly positivly yummy!!!! The best vegetarian "meatloaf" that I have tried. Even meat eaters will like it.