1/1 Photo of Nearly Guilt-Free French Toast Muffins
Lactose-free and delicious.... from scratch! These breakfast muffins are easy to make and will be the talk of the house when you make them. I say nearly guilt-free because of the maple syrup glaze. Without the glaze, the muffins are guilt-free. Vegetarians can skip the bacon and still enjoy some of the best muffins you'll ever have!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, full
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Start cooking the bacon strips in a frying pan or griddle until crispy. Continue to step 3.
- 3Combine dry ingredients and spices in a bowl.
- 4Separate the whites & yolks of 2 eggs. Keep the whites in a small bowl. Keep the yolks for next step.
- 5In a third medium-sized bowl, whisk together: almond milk, apple sauce, honey and 1 full egg, 2 egg yolks.
- 6Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- 7Use a mixer to beat egg whites until peaks form. Then fold them into the batter.
- 8Chop the bacon into bite-size bits. About a quarter-inch to half-inch squares or so.
- 9Set aside the equivalent of one bacon strip, stir the rest into the batter.
- 10Pour ¼ cup of batter onto a greased griddle.
- 11Sprinkle some of the left-over bacon bits evenly over top of each muffin in the tin.
- 12Cook 12 to 17 minutes until golden brown. NOTE: test each muffin with a toothpick to make sure they are done. The toothpick should come out clean – no batter should stick to the toothpick.
- 13GLAZE: In a small saucepan simmer maple syrup and lemon juice, stirring occasionally, until reduced to a thick (thicker than maple syrup) syrup. This will take about 15 minutes over a low flame.
- 14Remove from heat and wait for the muffins to finish baking.
- 15When muffins are out of the oven and cool enough to handle, poke a few holes in the muffin top with a toothpick.
- 16Dip each muffin top in the maple glaze.
- 17After dipping all twelve muffins, start with the first muffin you dipped and dip each muffin again.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nearly Guilt-Free French Toast Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.9
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 147.6 mg
- Sodium 867.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 40.3 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: