Recipe by Silkster
Lactose-free and delicious.... from scratch! These breakfast muffins are easy to make and will be the talk of the house when you make them. I say nearly guilt-free because of the maple syrup glaze. Without the glaze, the muffins are guilt-free. Vegetarians can skip the bacon and still enjoy some of the best muffins you'll ever have!
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, full
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Start cooking the bacon strips in a frying pan or griddle until crispy. Continue to step 3.
- Combine dry ingredients and spices in a bowl.
- Separate the whites & yolks of 2 eggs. Keep the whites in a small bowl. Keep the yolks for next step.
- In a third medium-sized bowl, whisk together: almond milk, apple sauce, honey and 1 full egg, 2 egg yolks.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Use a mixer to beat egg whites until peaks form. Then fold them into the batter.
- Chop the bacon into bite-size bits. About a quarter-inch to half-inch squares or so.
- Set aside the equivalent of one bacon strip, stir the rest into the batter.
- Pour ¼ cup of batter onto a greased griddle.
- Sprinkle some of the left-over bacon bits evenly over top of each muffin in the tin.
- Cook 12 to 17 minutes until golden brown. NOTE: test each muffin with a toothpick to make sure they are done. The toothpick should come out clean – no batter should stick to the toothpick.
- GLAZE: In a small saucepan simmer maple syrup and lemon juice, stirring occasionally, until reduced to a thick (thicker than maple syrup) syrup. This will take about 15 minutes over a low flame.
- Remove from heat and wait for the muffins to finish baking.
- When muffins are out of the oven and cool enough to handle, poke a few holes in the muffin top with a toothpick.
- Dip each muffin top in the maple glaze.
- After dipping all twelve muffins, start with the first muffin you dipped and dip each muffin again.