Recipe by spicyperspective
It would seem that everyone has their own version of tortilla soup. Some are thick and cheesy; some thin and watery. I prefer a thin, but not watery, broth-based tortilla soup with LOTS of veggies and toppings. I developed this recipe years ago and would venture to say it is my MOST requested recipe. Both to personal friends or blog readers, I email this recipe constantly! So here it is, ASP’s nearly famous Chicken Tortilla Soup, have at it!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, halved and thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 -2 avocado, diced
- 16 ounces tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot, heat the oil over high. Add onions, 1/3 cup cilantro and garlic, sauté 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and spices, then bring to a boil.
- Add the broth, carrots and chicken. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook another 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in half the cheese and 1 cup crushed tortilla chips.
- Ladle into bowls and top with remaining cheese, fresh cilantro, fresh avocado, and more tortilla chip pieces. Serves 4+.
- *This is a great recipe for leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken. Just add it in at the very end to warm it up!