Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
It would seem that everyone has their own version of tortilla soup. Some are thick and cheesy; some thin and watery. I prefer a thin, but not watery, broth-based tortilla soup with LOTS of veggies and toppings. I developed this recipe years ago and would venture to say it is my MOST requested recipe. Both to personal friends or blog readers, I email this recipe constantly! So here it is, ASP’s nearly famous Chicken Tortilla Soup, have at it!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, halved and thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 -2 avocado, diced
- 16 ounces tortilla chips
- In a large stock pot, heat the oil over high. Add onions, 1/3 cup cilantro and garlic, sauté 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and spices, then bring to a boil.
- Add the broth, carrots and chicken. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook another 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in half the cheese and 1 cup crushed tortilla chips.
- Ladle into bowls and top with remaining cheese, fresh cilantro, fresh avocado, and more tortilla chip pieces. Serves 4+.
- *This is a great recipe for leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken. Just add it in at the very end to warm it up!
Very easy soup and good tasting, too. Used leftover cooked turkey instead of the chicken breast. Made for New Kid on the Block Tag.
I almost didn't make this because it only had one review and I usually try more "established" recipes. But it was quick and easy and I had all of the ingredients. My husband and I agree that it is the best chicken tortilla soup we've ever had. And I paid my very picky daughter a buck to try it (because otherwise she wouldn't have) and she actually went back for more! We will be making this again!
I've made this soup countless times, I owe the author a review. It is so tastey and I don't change a single thing about the recipe. It comes together very quickly with a rotisserie chicken. I often make this recipe on my grocery shopping day because I can bring home a chicken and it's easy to throw together in 30 min. Wish I could give this recipe an extra star!