Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From a sorority sister who always had great recipes....great dessert for a BBQ.
- 40 -50 vanilla wafers
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 4 bananas
- 1⁄2 gallon neapolitan ice cream, from a box, not a round container (you could use just about any flavor if you prefer)
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk (I use fat-free)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Crush the vanilla wafers, and combine with the melted butter.
- Pour in a 9x13" pan, pressing and and spreading evenly to make a crust.
- Slice the bananas and layer on top of the crumb base.
- Slice the ice cream in 1/2" slices, and lay on top of the banana layer.
- Press the pecans onto the ice cream.
- Prepare the topping by placing all ingredients except vanilla in saucepan, and cooking slowly over low-medium heat until thick and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and allow to cool somewhat.
- Pour on top of the frozen ice cream.
- Cover and return to the freezer.
- Keeps indefinitely.
I made this for a dinner I had for some friends. It was raved over. I did use a 12oz pkg of chocolate chips because I like a stronger chocolate taste. You should remove it from the freezer well before serving time as it is very hard to cut frozen solid. It makes a large dessert.