Recipe by Julesong
Colorful and very tasty Italian-style cookies, wonderful all year round but especially nice during the holidays! :) Prep time includes chilling for the dough.
- 591.47 ml flour
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml almonds or 2.46 ml hazelnut extract
- red food coloring
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts or 118.29 ml pistachios
- 59.14 ml good cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Line the bottom of a loaf pan with waxed paper.
- With an electric mixer combine flour, sugar, butter, egg, baking powder, vanilla, and salt; beat for 3 minutes.
- Divide the cookie dough into 3 equal parts.
- Part 1: mix in the almond or hazelnut extract and 5 drops red food coloring (this is the pink/red dough).
- Part 2: mix in the chopped walnuts or pistachios (this is the white dough).
- Part 3: mix in the cocoa (this is the brown dough).
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In the loaf pan, spread each part of the dough one on top of the other, pink, white, and chocolate; cover the pan and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- After chilling, turn out the dough from the pan and cut loaf lengthwise in half, then crosswise, then cut pieces of dough to make about 15 cookies from each piece.
- Bake each batch for 8-10 minutes.
- Makes about 60 cookies.