Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This hearty flavorful one-dish meal starts by sautéing smoked or andouille sausage with Cajun/Creole "trinity" - onion, celery and bell pepper.
- 2 tablespoons whole mixed pickling spices
- 1 lb smoked sausage or 1 lb andouille sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- Place the pickling spice in the center of piece of cheesecloth or coffee filter. Tie tightly with long piece of string.
- Cook and stir sausage, celery, onion and bell pepper in large, heavy skillet on medium-high heat about 5 minutes or until sausage begins to brown.
- Add red pepper, thyme, rice, chicken broth and pickling spice bundle. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in shrimp and tomatoes. Cover and cook on medium heat 6-7 minutes or just untl shrimp turns pink. Remove pickling spice bundle.