Prep 8 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
Prepare ahead, beans have to be soaked in water for 8 hours. This is a meal in its own, serve with fresh bread. From my Pol Martin cookbook.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 dry shallots, peeled and diced
- 1 celery, stalk diced
- 2 carrots, pared and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried navy beans (soaked in cold water for 8 hours)
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning (bean seasoning)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- black pepper
- heat oil in saucepan over med heat. add vegetables and garlic, stir, cover and cook 6 minutes.
- add drained beans and mix. incorporate remaining ingredients. gradually pour in enough cold water to cover beans by 2 1/2inch. season with salt and black pepper.
- cook partly covered 2 1/2 hours over med heat. stir several times, adding more water as needed.
- serve with fresh bread.
It was very good, though a little bland. I ate it served over sticky rice, and the rest of my family had added diced sauasage - red beans and rice style. Everyone tought it was a hit.
Excellent beans, especially considering that the recipe has no meat at all. I made this for ZWT5 French/Cajun, and I used 1/2 of a medium Vidalia onion instead of shallots, omitting the sage for personal taste; otherwise made exactly as directed. Great served with sliced, toasted baguette, Tabasco sauce and fresh Polish sausage. Thanks!!