1/1 Photo of Navy Bean Soup With Chicken
3 hrs 45 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Beans are really healthy, so when I cook them I try not to add anything to them that will make them unhealthy. This bean soup relies on some pepper and the green onions for seasoning. If you want salt, add some. Cooking time includes soaking time for the dried beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and pick over the navy beans, then put in a pot with the 8 cups water; bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes, then remove from heat, cover and let sit at least 1 hour (3 or 4 is okay).
- 2Drain and rinse the beans.
- 3If chicken is frozen put it in a large pot with the 10 cups of water, bring to a boil and cook about 15 minutes until you can cut it into chunks (For raw chicken, just cut up and put in the pot with the water and proceed to the next step).
- 4Cut green onion tops about 1/4 inch long and put aside; thinly slice the rest of the onions and add to chicken along with all other ingredients except the green onion tops.
- 5Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 ½ to 2 hours or until beans are as tender as you like them.
- 6Add green onion tops and cook 15 minutes longer.
- 7Serve immediately or refrigerate and warm up for an easy lunch.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Navy Bean Soup With Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (642 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.6
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 36.3 mg
- Sodium 60.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 18.4 g