Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is my adaptation of a recipe I found in “The Unwatched Pot”. Total comfort food. Everyone in the family likes this one. It freezes very well and is creamier when it thaws.
- 2 cups dried navy beans
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 ham hock
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can chicken broth
- Place all of the ingredients in the crock pot.
- Add enough water to generously cover the beans.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5-6.
- Remove ham hock.
- Discard fat and bones and return the meat to the soup.
Quick, easy and good. I put it on low all day and came home to a yummy soup. I didn't have celery but it tasted good nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.
Very good and fast recipe. I was impressed with this recipe.
Thank you for posting this recipe.