Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Rich slow simmered bean soup flavored with bacon
- 1 lb dried navy beans
- 10 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced 1/2 inch pieces
- Brown diced bacon, set aside.
- In 2 tablespoons af bacon drippings saute onion and celery till tender.
- Add all ingredients to a large dutch oven and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove lid and simmer additional 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until beans are very tender and soup is thickened, stirring occationally.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.