Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
By Winslow. Make sure your beans are fresh and haven't been sitting in the cupboard for months. As they get older, they tend to not cook very well and it is difficult to make them get tender or done. Serve with cornbread and hot sauce if you like. Sometimes I add a little minced onion on the top for garnish.
- 453.59 g bag dried navy beans
- 1656.13 ml water
- 1 ham bone (for flavor)
- 473.18 ml diced ham
- 59.14 ml minced onion
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 118.29 ml sliced carrot
- 118.29 ml sliced celery
- Sort beans and place in a large pot, cover with cold water, and soak overnight. Or bring to a boil for 3 minutes, then cover, remove from heat and beans sit undisturbed for one hour.
- Drain bean water.
- Add remaining ingredients except celery and carrots to beans (including 7 cups water).
- Bring beans to a boil, then lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 90 minutes, stirring and skimming occasionally.
- Adjust cooking time if needed until beans are soft and tender.
- Add carrots and celery and cook for about half an hour.
- Fish out the ham hock, and when cool enough to handle, remove its meat and add the meat back to the pot.
Very simple soup with good flavor. I increased the amounts of carrots and celery to use up what I had on hand needing to add just a bit more water to give the broth needed. I blended up about 1/3 of the beans before adding the other veggies to make it a bit creamier. Will definitely keep this in my rotation of winter soups. Thanks.
This recipe most resembles the way my mother used to make navy bean soup! I've got my beans soaking right now!
This soup turned out great. I did make a couple changes, I decided I wanted to make it in the crockpot after soaking the beans all day and cooked it overnight. I used more carrots, celery and onion, about a cup of each, and also added a minced jalapeno. These were things that I needed to use up. I enjoyed a bowl for a late breakfast and really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing this delicious, simple recipe.