- 1⁄2 lb dried navy beans (dried)
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb ham (cubed)
- 1⁄4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot (chopped)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (chicken)
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort and rinse beans (do not soak).
- In a large saucepan, combine 8 cups water and all of the ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beans are tender (about 1 1/2 - 2 hours). I like to lightly mush some of the beans with a fork to make broth thicker. Add more water if necessary.
- Also can be made, as directed, in a crock pot - simply add all ingredients in the morning and cook on high.