1/1 Photo of Navy Bean Soup
3 hrs 45 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
A good hearty soup, especially good with the old ham bone.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups dried navy beans or 1 1/4 cups lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces salt pork or 4 ounces fully cooked ham, , chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1Place navy beans in large saucepan, add enough water to cover beans.
- 2Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour (Or, cover beans with water and soak overnight).
- 4Drain beans and return to saucepan.
- 5Stir in 2 1/2 cups water, salt pork, onion, oregano, salt, ginger, sage and pepper.
- 6Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- 7Cover and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- 8(If necessary, add more water during cooking).
- 9Add milk and butter, stirring until mixture is heated through and butter is melted.
- 10Season with additinal salt and pepper.
- 11I have made this soup with a leftover ham bone with a little meat left on it instead of the salt pork or chopped ham.
- 12Place the ham bone in the pot before bringing to a boil and remove after the 2 1/2 hours of simmering, scrape and chop any meat left on the bone into the soup.
- 13Discard bone.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Navy Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.7
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 28.0 mg
- Sodium 438.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 13.5 g