1/3 Photos of Navy Bean (Ham and Bean) Soup
Chef Skie's Note:
Hearty, thick soup that's a perfect something to do with your leftover holiday ham and bones. Use two bones with plenty of meat on them instead of the ham hocks. I make it every time we have two ham bones in the freezer and once I take most of the meat off, the dogs get the bones for a special treat, so they love when I make this too! Found it on the Food Network site, but I've tweaked it a bit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs navy beans, picked over, rinsed, and drained
- 10 -15 sprigs parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (I use rosemary instead)
- 1 -2 bay leaf, depending on size
- 2 large smoked ham hocks (or ham bones)
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (or 2 small)
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- butter (to garnish)
- 1Put beans in a large saucepan and cover with 2 inches of cold water.
- 2Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and summer for 5 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 1 hour, then drain.
- 4Tie herbs into a bundle or wrap in a square of cheesecloth.
- 5In a large pot, combine herbs, beans, ham, onions, carrots, garlic, and water.
- 6Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 1-2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- 7Turn off heat, remove ham and allow to cool, then cut into cubes.
- 8Remove herbs and discard.
- 9Puree about 3 cups or beans with some of the liquid. (I like my stick blender for this, just be careful because it is super hot!).
- 10Stir puree and meat back into the remaining soup.
- 11Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 12Put in bowls, top with a pat of butter, and serve.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Navy Bean (Ham and Bean) Soup
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 169.2
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 280.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.3 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hocks