Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
We like this seasoned with just salt and pepper. But certainly feel free to improvise.
- 1 lb dry navy beans, sorted and rinsed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 2 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash, peeled,seeded,and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put beans in a large Dutch oven and add water to cover by 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes.
- Remove pot from the heat.
- Cover and let beans sit for 1 hour.
- Drain out all the liquid.
- Add the chicken broth, water, ham bone, squash, onion, salt, and pepper to the pot with the beans in it.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 3/4 hours or until beans are tender.
- Take out the ham bone.
- Mash the soup with a potato masher, leaving some chunks if desired.
- Remove ham from the bone; cut the meat into chunks and return to the soup; heat until warm enough to serve.
- Discard ham bone.