Recipe by bikerchick
I haven't made this in a few years, it makes for good gifts! Total time does not include for soaking beans overnight, but prep time includes a rough guess to prepping all the ingredients. Be sure to measure all ingredients exactly.
Top Review by busynursemom
I have canned this recipe several times and I love it. It's so nice to just open a jar for a quick dinner. I've use pinto beans instead of kidneys and it has always turned out perfect. No trouble with moisture and the bacon is perfect.
- 4 lbs dried navy beans, soaked overnight
- 4 quarts tomato juice
- 4 cups carrots, diced
- 8 cups potatoes, diced
- 6 cups celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups onions, diced
- 4 lbs bacon, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Notes: 1 medium onion is about a cup; 2 medium stalks celery is about 1 cup; 1 lb pkg carrots is about 4 cups; 5 medium potatoes is about 8 cups.
- Combine all ingredients except bacon and onion in large pot.
- Cook over medium heat until soft.
- Cut bacon into small pieces and fry in skillet.
- Remove bacon and cook onion in bacon grease until soft.
- Add bacon and onion to bean mixture and heat until it simmers.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Remove bay leaves before putting in jars.
- Fill hot mixture into sterilized jars, filling to within 1" of tops of jars.
- Pressure can 1 hour at 10 lbs.