Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My fovorite comfort food on cold wet days. My wife, ( a bean hater) ate 1 1/2 bowls the first time I made this soup. I hope you enjoy it as musch as we do.
- 2 lbs dried navy beans
- 1 ham bone
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 7 cups water
- 1 medium potato
- 1 large onion
- 3 carrots
- 12 garlic cloves
- sort beans, rinse and add to stock pot.
- scrub carrots, cut off ends and chop into bite sized chunks, cut the onion into bite sized chunks, add to pot.
- peel potato and dice into very small pieces, add to pot.
- add 5 cups low sodium chicken broth, 7 cups water, bay leaf, ham bone, then simmer @ 3 hours.
- rub loose skin off of garlic cloves, place in a foil pouch, and roast 350 degree oven for @ 30 minutes until they carmelize. Let them cool until you can peel off the last layer of skin, add to 1 cup of bean soup liquid, and blend to a golden slurry and add back to soup. Remove ham bone and shredd meat, add back to soup. Simmer until beans are cooked to your preferred softness @ 30 - 45 more minutes.
- Please note if you dice the potato very fine it will disolve and make the soup thick and tasty.