4 hrs 15 mins
My fovorite comfort food on cold wet days. My wife, ( a bean hater) ate 1 1/2 bowls the first time I made this soup. I hope you enjoy it as musch as we do.
My Private Note
1 1/2 cup
Units: US | Metric
- 1sort beans, rinse and add to stock pot.
- 2scrub carrots, cut off ends and chop into bite sized chunks, cut the onion into bite sized chunks, add to pot.
- 3peel potato and dice into very small pieces, add to pot.
- 4add 5 cups low sodium chicken broth, 7 cups water, bay leaf, ham bone, then simmer @ 3 hours.
- 5rub loose skin off of garlic cloves, place in a foil pouch, and roast 350 degree oven for @ 30 minutes until they carmelize. Let them cool until you can peel off the last layer of skin, add to 1 cup of bean soup liquid, and blend to a golden slurry and add back to soup. Remove ham bone and shredd meat, add back to soup. Simmer until beans are cooked to your preferred softness @ 30 - 45 more minutes.
- 6Please note if you dice the potato very fine it will disolve and make the soup thick and tasty.
Browse Our Top For Large Groups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Navy Bean and Ham Soup
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.5
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 39.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.6 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 15.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: