Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
My husband loves this rice. This is an "emergency rice" that is pretty quick to fold together if you have leftover cooked rice on hand. I made this for dinner tonight for my dad and hubby. Both loved it. Please have this with dahi (home-made curd/yoghurt) for enjoying it best. Serve pappadams (papads) with this for a nice snack. Enjoy!
- 3 cups of cooked long grain basmati rice
- 2 medium sized onions, peeled, washed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons rice bran oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 green chilies, washed, ends trimmed and finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, washed and finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Once it is hot, add black mustard seeds (rai).
- Allow to splutter.
- Then fold in the finely chopped green chillies, garlic and sliced onions.
- Mix well and stir fry until the garlic is golden brown and the onions turn translucent.
- Add half a cup of water and stir well.
- Cover and allow to cook ensuring the onions are browned. Uncover after 5 minutes, add half a cup more of water (you may add little more water depending on how much brown you would like the onions).
- Fold in salt and black pepper powder.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well.
- Stir in the squeezed juice of one lemon and mix well.
- Garnish with finely chopped corriander leaves and serve hot with yoghurt and papads.