Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My husband loves this rice. This is an "emergency rice" that is pretty quick to fold together if you have leftover cooked rice on hand. I made this for dinner tonight for my dad and hubby. Both loved it. Please have this with dahi (home-made curd/yoghurt) for enjoying it best. Serve pappadams (papads) with this for a nice snack. Enjoy!
- 3 cups of cooked long grain basmati rice
- 2 medium sized onions, peeled, washed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons rice bran oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 green chilies, washed, ends trimmed and finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, washed and finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Once it is hot, add black mustard seeds (rai).
- Allow to splutter.
- Then fold in the finely chopped green chillies, garlic and sliced onions.
- Mix well and stir fry until the garlic is golden brown and the onions turn translucent.
- Add half a cup of water and stir well.
- Cover and allow to cook ensuring the onions are browned. Uncover after 5 minutes, add half a cup more of water (you may add little more water depending on how much brown you would like the onions).
- Fold in salt and black pepper powder.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well.
- Stir in the squeezed juice of one lemon and mix well.
- Garnish with finely chopped corriander leaves and serve hot with yoghurt and papads.