My husband loves this rice. This is an "emergency rice" that is pretty quick to fold together if you have leftover cooked rice on hand. I made this for dinner tonight for my dad and hubby. Both loved it. Please have this with dahi (home-made curd/yoghurt) for enjoying it best. Serve pappadams (papads) with this for a nice snack. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups of cooked long grain basmati rice
- 2 medium sized onions, peeled, washed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons rice bran oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 green chilies, washed, ends trimmed and finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, washed and finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1Heat oil in a wok.
- 2Once it is hot, add black mustard seeds (rai).
- 3Allow to splutter.
- 4Then fold in the finely chopped green chillies, garlic and sliced onions.
- 5Mix well and stir fry until the garlic is golden brown and the onions turn translucent.
- 6Add half a cup of water and stir well.
- 7Cover and allow to cook ensuring the onions are browned. Uncover after 5 minutes, add half a cup more of water (you may add little more water depending on how much brown you would like the onions).
- 8Fold in salt and black pepper powder.
- 9Add the cooked rice and mix well.
- 10Stir in the squeezed juice of one lemon and mix well.
- 11Garnish with finely chopped corriander leaves and serve hot with yoghurt and papads.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Navneet's Punjabi Onion Rice
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 614.5
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 14.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 12.5 g