Recipe by Leta
A flat taco, this frybread recipe is really good. It's not your typical taco!
Top Review by Barb G.
Delicious,Yummy these are so good. DH loved them. I was so glad to find a recipe for these tacos. When we lived in Clearlake, Ca the Pomo Indians held a Pow Wow at the park and made and sold these Tacos. I did use shedderd beef as I had some left over Roast. I also cut the recipe in half. The fry bread is good by its self or sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, kids love it. Thanks Leta for a great recipe. It is sure a KEEPER.
Navajo Fry Bread
- 4 -5 cups flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup instant milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can pinto beans
- grated cheese
- sour cream
- green onion (whatever sounds good)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make fry bread: Mix dry ingredients.
- Stir in water.
- Knead dough lightly; cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- Heat 1" vegetable oil in a 10" skillet.
- Pinch off dough in small amounts and pat dough into thin 8" circles.
- In the hot oil, quickly brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
- To make filling: Brown ground beef and onion, drain.
- Add beans and garlic salt.
- Simmer 10- 15 minutes.
- To Serve: Spoon filling onto frybread.
- Top with grated cheeses, salsa, lettuce, onion, or whatever sounds good.