This recipe is different than the other recipes posted in that it uses delicious homemade chili beans rather than canned. You have to plan ahead to make this meal, and it takes a bit of work but it is well worth it! It's more of a special occasion meal and is very easily doubled for a larger crowd. My mom made these for us growing up--I think it is originally from Sunset Magazine.
- 1 cup dry pinto beans or 1 cup great northern bean
- 1 quart water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3⁄4 cup water
- canola oil, for frying
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 lb iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup green onion, sliced
- CHILI: Sort and discard debris from beans and rinse well.
- Place beans in 3-4 quart pot with water; bring to a boil on high heat. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans and set aside.
- Rinse pot and return to medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and ground beef and cook till meat is browned.
- Drain the grease and add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil on high heat; reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until beans are tender.
- FRY BREAD: Mix together flour, dry milk, baking powder, and salt. Add shortening and rub mixture with fingers till coarse crumbs form.
- Add water and stir with a fork till dough clings together.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface till smooth (2-3 minutes).
- Divide into 6 portions and keep covered with plastic wrap.
- Shape each into a 6-7 inch circle.
- In a 9x2 inch pan or electric skillet, heat 3/4 inch canola oil to 375 degrees. Fry each piece of dough till it is puffy and golden brown, turning once with tongs.
- Keep warm in 200 degree oven on baking sheets lined with paper towels till ready to serve.
- TO SERVE: Top each piece of fry bread with chili, and as many toppings as you like.