Recipe by mistylin #2
my husband grew up in bluff utah and this is his most favorite meal, everytime he comes home on leave this is the first meal i have to make for him
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 2 (8 ounce) canscooked chili (i use homemade)
- 2 cups shredded lettuce (approximate)
- 1 cup diced onion (approximate)
- 1 cup diced tomato (approxiate)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (approxiate)
- 2 -3 cups lard or 2 -3 cups oil, for frying the bread
- sour cream (optional)
- avocados (optional) or guacamole (optional)
- salsa (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- mix dry ingredients together in large bowl, add 1 1/2 cups hot water, mix well(i use my hands) dough should be soft and pliable, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for at least an hour.
- form dough into small balls and pat out on floured surface.
- in hot oil fry bread on both sides til nice and golden brown.
- ( a cast iron skillet is best for the frying, but any heavy duty skillet will work).
- top fry bread with chili, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and any other taco ingredient that you like.
- the fry bread also makes awesome sandwiches!