Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
I picked this up back in the stone age of the net. Source: Mary R. Neh, Home Economist, Navajo Cultural Center
- 3 lbs pork shoulder, trimmed
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 cups water
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried ground Mexican oregano
- 2 (16 ounce) cans whole green chilies
- Melt bacon grease in a skillet over med-high heat. Put flour into a paper bag and shake the meat with the flour to coat meat. Add the meat to the bacon grease a little at a time and brown well & evenly.
- Remove the meat to a 5 quart Dutch oven. Add the onions & garlic to the skillet and sauté until translucent. Add these to the pork in the pot. Stir in the remaining ingredients, bring pot to a boil, and keep stirring every 2-3 minutes.
- When boiling lower heat to low & simmer for 45 minutes. Taste, adjust seasonings as per personal taste, & cook for 30 minutes or more.
- A Di-neh recipe.