Recipe by josephm
This recipe is adapted from Emeril LaGassi's Emirel Live cooking show Native American cooking espisode from 2001. We used 1 cup milk instead of the original 3/4 cup of warm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- mix dry ingredients together using a food processor.
- add the tablespoon vegetable oil and the milk to the dry ingredients while the food processor is going on low speed.
- process on low until dough forms.
- knead dough until it comes back together.
- wrap tightly in saran wrap and place in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- seperate dough into 12 small balls.
- roll balls out until about 1/8 inch thick and make a hole in the center.
- heat the 6 cups of vegetable oil to 360 degrees in a deep cooking pan.
- fry the rounds individually in the oil until golden brown about 1 minute each side.
- drain on paper towels.
- eat plain or top with our favorite topping such as honey, powered sugar, butter or jellies and jams. Make it into an Indian taco by topping with meats, veggies and/or salsa.