Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A desert similar to sopapias. Very tasty!
- 946.36 ml flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 29.58 ml powdered milk (optional)
- 354.88 ml water, warm
- powdered sugar
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add water to make a soft dough, knead lightly.
- Make 1 inch balls of dough and roll / pat into flat circle (a tortilla shape)1/4 inch thick.
- Heat shortening in a frying pan until very hot. If you flick a drop of water into the oil and it makes that popping noise, you'll know its hot)
- Gently place dough into oil and cook until both sides are golden brown.
- Sprinkle fried bread with powdered sugar and drizzle honey of the top.
- Serve hot.
Hee hee the kids were thrilled to have this for breakfast! This is so fast & easy. I cooked them until they had browned lightly but they were a bit hard & crunchy. Is this right? I was expecting softer - like the doughboys at the county fair. Regardless, they were happily gobbled up! Thanks!