Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a different rice dish. It has a great combination of spices along with small chunks of avocado. It is pretty tasty.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup regular uncooked rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 avocado
- Place butter and oil in 2-quart pan over medium heat.
- When butter is melted, add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender.
- Add rice; cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until rice looks milky and opaque.
- Add salt, oregano, cumin, turmeric and broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed.
- Peel and pit avocado; dice.
- Fluff up rice with fork; add avocado and toss gently.
- Turn off heat; let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Delicious flavorful rice recipe. It's funny though I realized as I was eating it that I don't care for warm avocado, the flavor of the avocado changes. There is nothing wrong with the recipe, just something I will know when choosing recipes in the future. I would make this again, and just leave it out. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Super tasty! I liked it a lot with just a bit of cayenne powder, but I like most things with some cayenne:)
I have FINALLY found my favourite rice recipe! I love it with the avocado, but if you leave that out and put in half a tin of tomatoes while cooking, and then bake the rice for 1/2 hour, it tastes EXACTLY like the Spanish rice from any good Mexican restaurant in the states. I so miss Mexican food - I'm an American who's lived in England for 7 years - and this recipe helped me recapture some of those tastes I really miss. Thanks a lot for this fantastic recipe!!