Recipe by Ridgely
This is a different rice dish. It has a great combination of spices along with small chunks of avocado. It is pretty tasty.
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Delicious flavorful rice recipe. It's funny though I realized as I was eating it that I don't care for warm avocado, the flavor of the avocado changes. There is nothing wrong with the recipe, just something I will know when choosing recipes in the future. I would make this again, and just leave it out. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup regular uncooked rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 avocado
Directions See How It's Made
- Place butter and oil in 2-quart pan over medium heat.
- When butter is melted, add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender.
- Add rice; cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until rice looks milky and opaque.
- Add salt, oregano, cumin, turmeric and broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed.
- Peel and pit avocado; dice.
- Fluff up rice with fork; add avocado and toss gently.
- Turn off heat; let stand 5 minutes before serving.