Prep 10 mins
Cook 168 hrs
This comes from an old (1983) insert in Canadian Living. Cooking time is fermentation time.
- 7 -9 cucumbers, 8 to 12 cm long
- 2 sprigs fresh dill
- 25 ml pickling salt
- 5 ml pickling spices
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- soft water or distilled water
- 25 ml pickling salt, to
- 950 ml soft water or 950 ml distilled water
- Wash cucumbers in cold water to remove soil. Do not scrub or use hot water or detergent.
- Place 1 sprig of dill in bottom of a clean, medium (1 L) jar.
- Pack cucumbers into jar and place sprig of dill on top.
- Add salt, pickling spices and garlic.
- Fill jar to the top with soft or distilled water.
- Screw lid on tightly and turn jar upside down so salt will be distributed.
- Turn upright and loosen lid about 1/10 turn.
- Place in warm room (20 to 25 C) for 1 to 2 weeks to permit fermentation.
- At intervals of 2 to 3 days during fermentation period, add additional brine to replace liquid forced out by fermentaion.
- Fermentation is finished when no more gas is produced.
- Depending on the temperature, when fermentation is complete, pickles are ready to eat or store.
- At this point fill the jar completely with brine, seal tightly and store in refrigerator up to 9 months.