Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 168 hrs
This comes from an old (1983) insert in Canadian Living. Cooking time is fermentation time.
Make and share this Naturally Fermented Dills (No Vinegar) recipe from Food.com.
- Wash cucumbers in cold water to remove soil. Do not scrub or use hot water or detergent.
- Place 1 sprig of dill in bottom of a clean, medium (1 L) jar.
- Pack cucumbers into jar and place sprig of dill on top.
- Add salt, pickling spices and garlic.
- Fill jar to the top with soft or distilled water.
- Screw lid on tightly and turn jar upside down so salt will be distributed.
- Turn upright and loosen lid about 1/10 turn.
- Place in warm room (20 to 25 C) for 1 to 2 weeks to permit fermentation.
- At intervals of 2 to 3 days during fermentation period, add additional brine to replace liquid forced out by fermentaion.
- Fermentation is finished when no more gas is produced.
- Depending on the temperature, when fermentation is complete, pickles are ready to eat or store.
- At this point fill the jar completely with brine, seal tightly and store in refrigerator up to 9 months.