Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Natural yellow cake mix substitute without additives, preservatives, and transfats. Replaces one 16-18 oz. boxed mix in any recipe.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw sugar (evaporated cane juice)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup salted butter, softened plus
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- For the cake mix, put flours into the bowl of a food processor. Add sugar, baking powder and salt and process until blended. Cut butter into 4 or 5 chunks, then add to flour mixture and pulse until completely incorporated. Use cake mix immediately (see below) or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 month. May also be frozen.
- For Yellow Cake.
- Preeat oven to 350°F Butter and flour a 9- x 13-inch cake pan or two 8-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- Transfer cake mix to large mixing bowl, then add 2 eggs, 1 cup milk and 1 teaspoons vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Increase speed to medium high and beat for 2 minutes more, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Transfer batter to
- prepared baking pan(s). For a 9- x 13-inch cake, bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until done when tested with a toothpick. For two 8-inch cakes, baking time may shorten, so check after 25 to 35 minutes. Set cakes aside to cool for about 10 minutes, then remove them from the pans and set aside on wire racks to cool completely. Frost cakes, if desired.
I used this recipe to make a guava cake (I couldn't seem to find any guava cake recipes that didn't say "1 box yellow cake mix"...which I was definitely NOT going to use). So, I made the following modifications: cut sugar to 1 cup and sub 1 cup guava puree for milk. I didn't make the mix ahead so I skipped the food processor steps and just mixed the cake together as I would have from scratch (whipped butter and sugar, added wet ingredients, then dry). It turned out delicious. I will definitely use this recipe again when making something that calls for yellow cake mix. Thanks!