Recipe by Mercy
This recipe is from Dundee Hazelnuts & The Oregon Hazelnut Industry. Natural hazelnut butter will be dark brown in color, due to the presence of some skins. Cooking time is the estimated hazelnut roasting time.
Directions See How It's Made
- GENERAL DIRECTIONS FOOD PROCESSOR: Place roasted hazelnuts in food processor container with all-purpose blade.
- Process to coarse butter texture, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually add sugar, salt or other ingredients through feed tube.
- Scrape down sides; continue to process until desired texture is achieved, 4 to 7 minutes.
- BLENDER: Place roasted hazelnuts and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in blender container and grind to meal on low speed.
- Continue to blend on low for several minutes, scraping down sides of container as required and adding another tablespoon of oil, if necessary.
- When butter is fairly fluid, blend on high for 2 to 3 minutes or until desired texture is achieved.
- Gradually add other ingredients and blend on low until thoroughly mixed.
- FOR CRUNCHY BUTTER: Stir in 1/4 cup roasted, chopped hazelnuts or raw sunflower seeds to finished butter.
- These butter recipes are for"old-fashioned" butters with no stabilizers; if they are kept refrigerated, very little oil separation will occur.
- Shelf life is about 3 months in the refrigerator.