Recipe by PaulaG
These are a dense, high fiber muffin. Excellent heated in the microwave for a few minutes.
Top Review by Angela R.
Great recipe! You can anything to this. Spices, nuts, fruit! Only changes is I used Unsweetened Soy Milk (same amount) and Organic Cane Sugar (I use this in ALL of my baking, same amounts. You would never know the difference.) I also used baking cups and forgot to spray them. DON'T FORGET this step ;)
- 3 cups oat bran
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup dates, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare non-stick muffin tin by spraying with cooking spray.
- Mix the oat bran and boiling water in a large bowl, set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine egg whites, sugar, buttermilk, oil and fruit.
- Add egg white mixture to oat bran and mix until blended.
- Combine flours, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Add dry ingredients to oat bran, stirring just until blended.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes.
- All of the muffins can be cooked at one time and frozen for later use or the batter keeps for several weeks when stored covered in the refrigerator.