Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love zucchini sticks, and these baked ones are better than any fried version.
Make and share this Nat's Oven Baked Zucchini Sticks recipe from Food.com.
- 3 medium zucchini
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (any kind will do)
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (sometimes use celery salt)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- horseradish cream, dip Creamy Horseradish Dip
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Spray large baking sheet with oil cooking spray.
- Cut zucchini into slices, (about 1 1/2 inches by 3/4 inch).
- Toss zucchini in a bowl with the olive oil.
- Mix dry ingredients in a plastic bag.
- Place zucchini, a handful at a time, in the plastic bag, and shake to coat.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Turn zucchini, bake another 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with Creamy Horseradish Dip recipe#79910 or your favorite dip.
The flavor of the coating was excellent; however, due to the mushy texture of the zucchini, this recipe only gets 3 stars. I think the called-for dimensions of the zucchini are much too small. Next time I will cut them much thicker, and then broil at 525 degrees for a shorter length of time to get that firm texture inside and crispy coating outside. I did manage to somehow eat the entire sheet of zucchini with my homemade ranch dressing, though...how did that happen, I wonder? Well, like I said, the flavor of the zucchini and the breaded coating were excellent! It was just the texture that was off. Alas, I must make and taste test an entire sheet of these once again to get it just right. A cook's work is never done...
These are delicious! I have made them a couple of times now and find they are done in much less time that the recipe states. In about 15 minutes the coating is nice and crispy, but the zucchini is still a little crisp. Next time I will cut the zucchini a bit bigger so the coating can really get nicely brown. This is a really healthy recipe that feels like it should be bad for you!
Tasty! After reading the previous reviews, I cut my slices a little thicker and baked them for a total of 25 min and they didn't seem very mushy. I used crushed cornflakes in place of bread crumbs and we ate them with ketchup. Yum!