Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I'm not sure if the Native Americans had sherry or dry white wine. That may be stretching things.
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice, uncooked, rinsed in cold water, drained
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, diced
- 8 ounces fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, stemmed, minced or 3⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine or 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- Place water in medium saucepan, add wild rice and bring to boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Do not drain; set aside.
- Melt butter in 5 quart Dutch oven or kettle over medium heat.
- Add onion and mushrooms and saute about 3 minutes, until vegetables soften.
- Add rosemary.
- Add flour gradually to mushroom mixture, cooking and stirring frequently over medium-high heat, until mixture boils.
- Add chicken broth; bring to a boil, boil 1 minute.
- Stir in reserved wild rice and any remaining liquid, salt and black pepper.
- Stir in whipping cream and sherry; do not let boil.
- Serve immediately.
Thought it was easy and delicious. All of the ingredients blend so well. Definitely a keeper