Recipe by Rita~
February 24Th is National tortilla day and what better way to celebrate along with National Chili Day on the 28TH. Leftovers can be spread over a layer of cream cheese topped with shredded cheese, warmed then topped with salsa, sour cream, jalapenos.... served with tortillas Made for Dining on a Dollar.
Top Review by weekend cooker
What do you bring to your neighbors house, along with 3 of his friends who is a firefighter ? CHILI !! So thats what I did. Made this the slow cooker method. Made this for 5 hungary men, during the hockey game. I used sweet paprika, 2 chipotle chilies, and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. This was nicely seasoned, and definately flavored to a tee. I, myself did not care for the black-eyed peas, but everyone else did. Great enough for 2 servings for each of us, and the rest of the guys really enjoyed this very unique recipe. A couple of them had never tried black-eyed peas in chili, as I ran off (xeroxed) 4 extra copies of this recipe to them. Also had plenty of heat, but not overpowering. I myself will try this in the future, halving the recipe, one stovetop, and one crockpot, one with the black-eyed peas, and one with out. Excellent creation you have come up with, and good luck in the contest.
- 6 slices bacon
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -4 chipotle chiles in adobo, minced seeds your choice (amount to your heat level)
- 2 -4 tablespoons adobo sauce (amount to your heat level)
- 1 lb round steak, cut in to small cubes
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- hot pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 teaspoons paprika (sweet,smoked or hot your choice)
- 16 ounces black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 16 ounces pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup ketchup
- 12 ounces beer
- tortilla chips
- sliced jalapeno
- sour cream
- cilantro or parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown bacon till crisp remove and set aside to cool.
- In the bacon fat brown ground beef beef cubes along with the with onions.
- Combine beef and onions with remaining ingredients in slow cooker. Stir to blend.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 9 to 11 hours.
- Crumble bacon and stir into chili.
- Add additional oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne to taste if needed.
- Can be served over rice and topped with Tortilla chips, salsa, slice jalapenos, sour cream and avocado slices.
- Optional stove top method:.
- After browning meats and onions in a large pot add remaining ingredients except beans stirring to combine.Adding 1 cup water or beef broth. Bring to a boil then simmer for 1 hour. Stirring occasionally. Add beans and simmer for 1/2 to 1 more hours.Season to taste and Garnish as you enjoy.