1/2 Photos of National Tortilla Chip and Chili Day Crock / Stove Top
2 hrs 20 mins
February 24Th is National tortilla day and what better way to celebrate along with National Chili Day on the 28TH. Leftovers can be spread over a layer of cream cheese topped with shredded cheese, warmed then topped with salsa, sour cream, jalapenos.... served with tortillas Made for Dining on a Dollar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices bacon
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -4 chipotle chiles in adobo, minced seeds your choice (amount to your heat level)
- 2 -4 tablespoons adobo sauce (amount to your heat level)
- 1 lb round steak, cut in to small cubes
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- hot pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 teaspoons paprika (sweet,smoked or hot your choice)
- 16 ounces black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 16 ounces pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup ketchup
- 12 ounces beer
- 1Brown bacon till crisp remove and set aside to cool.
- 2In the bacon fat brown ground beef beef cubes along with the with onions.
- 3Combine beef and onions with remaining ingredients in slow cooker. Stir to blend.
- 4Cover and cook on LOW for 9 to 11 hours.
- 5Crumble bacon and stir into chili.
- 6Add additional oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne to taste if needed.
- 7Can be served over rice and topped with Tortilla chips, salsa, slice jalapenos, sour cream and avocado slices.
- 8Optional stove top method:.
- 9After browning meats and onions in a large pot add remaining ingredients except beans stirring to combine.Adding 1 cup water or beef broth. Bring to a boil then simmer for 1 hour. Stirring occasionally. Add beans and simmer for 1/2 to 1 more hours.Season to taste and Garnish as you enjoy.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for National Tortilla Chip and Chili Day Crock / Stove Top
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 444.3
- Calories from Fat 160
- Total Fat 17.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 95.3 mg
- Sodium 823.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 36.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo