- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the pineapple juice to a boil in a small saucepan and reduce until it measures 1/4 of a cup; once reduced, cool and reserve.
- Combine the milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring up to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Dissolve the cornstarch into the cooled pineapple juice, whisk to make sure there are no lumps and then whisk into the simmering milk mixture.
- Continue to simmer and stir until the mixture begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Add some of the milk mixture to the egg yolks, mix and then add the egg yolks to the pot, stirring all the while.
- Raise the heat, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, until the mixture is very thick and puddinglike.
- Remove immediately from the heat and pour into a dessert bowl. Refrigerate at least four hours or overnight.
- Dust with nutmeg before serving.