Recipe by Tante B
I love this recipe for the simple reason that everyone in my family loves it. My 10 year old smells it baking before he's entered the apartment & his first words are "Thank you Mommy" - my 15 year old gets home & automatically says he's not hungry- the next question is, how much did I make, can one of his friends also eat over.
Top Review by jaynine
Wow, this was wonderful. I did make some changes, just because of what I had on hand. I used fresh tomatoes that I chopped up instead of the canned; I skipped the tomato sauce because I didn't want the stuffing to be too saucy; and I used Italian seasoning instead of the parsley and basil. I eyeballed everything else which means this is a very flexible recipe. The taste was fabulous. I used mozzarella and parmesan in the stuffing, and fresh mozzarella on top. Mine only needed 35 minutes to be done and for the shell to get soft, but I had small eggplants. Definitely a 5 star recipe!
- 2 eggplants
- 1 onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -6 garlic cloves, crushed (I use up 6)
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (500 g) packagemashed tomatoes or 1 (500 g) package tomato sauce
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts (optional)
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon basil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2-1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 300 -400 g grated cheese
- 1⁄2-1 cup breadcrumbs
- 375 g mozzarella cheese, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice eggplants in half and scoop out flesh leaving just enough for a sturdy shell.
- Combine eggplant flesh and onion; let your kitchen machine chop.
- Put olive oil in large frying pan and heat.
- Add onion and eggplant mixture and crushed garlic.
- Saute on high heat 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to simmer; add tomatoes and tomatoes (mashed) sauce.
- Add nuts and spices; let simmer 10 more minutes.
- Turn off heat and add beaten egg.
- Add cheeses- any kind you like is fine as long as you include the Parmesan.
- Add breadcrumbs till you have a thickened consistency.
- All quantities are flexible depending on the size of the eggplants- (I use med. to large) and of course how much you like cheese.
- Next fill eggplants.
- Cover with sliced mozzarella.
- Bake at 350°F 35- 45 minutes; if you like to eat the shell about an hour.