Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Nathalie used to have a cooking show on our local PBS station. She was always entertaining to watch.This recipe is an old favorite;always a hit at family gatherings.
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute the onions and peppers in 1/4 cup butter until soft.Add the garlic and cook briefly.Cook the squash in boiling salted water until tender 5-10 minutes.Drain off the.
- water and mash the squash with a potato masher.Add 1/2 cup butter,1 cup cheese,the eggs,sauteed veggies,1 cup pecans and hot.
- sauce to the squash and mix well.
- Pour into a casserole buttered with 2 tablespoonsful of butter.Mix together the breadcrumbs and the rest of the cheese and pecans.Spread on top of the casserole,dot.
- with remaining butter and bake 45-60 minutes.
This squash casserole had great flavors and colors running thourh it with the red and green bell peppers. Next time this is made, I will start cooking my squash first and then saute the peppers and onions since it cooked up much faster than the squash. I liked the pecans in the squash but did not care for the bread crumbs on the top. I think I will mix the bread crumbs into the casserole next time before baking. Thanks for posting this recipe. Adopted for PAC April 2008.