Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my husband's favorite sandwich, he loves fried egg sandwiches and also grilled cheese and this is a combination of the two. The secret ingredient here is mayonnaise, you put it on the outside of the bread instead of butter. I know that you all are probably think I am crazy, but I learned this trick working at a restaurant in college. Mayo on the outside of the bread will give you that crispy, crunchy, buttery goodness that you can only seem to get when you order grilled cheese from an old diner. Yum!
- 2 eggs
- cooking spray
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- cajun seasoning, to taste
- 2 slices multi-grain bread
- 2 slices monterey jack pepper cheese
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- Spray a small pan with cooking spray. Over medium high heat break both eggs into pan, pierce the yolks so that they run onto the whites. Season with salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning to taste.
- When the eggs have set, flip and cook the other side. When eggs are done remove from pan.
- Spread mayonnaise on one side of each piece of bread. In the same pan, place one slice of bread mayonnaise side down, top with one slice of cheese, the cooked eggs, another slice of cheese and the last slice of bread with mayonnaise side facing up.
- Grill until bread is golden and cheese starts to melt, flip and cook on the other side until all the cheese has melted.
- Remove from pan, cut in half and enjoy!
- Note: I have only done this mayo technique with full fat mayonnaise, I don't know if fat-free mayo, miracle whip, or soy mayonnaise works. But if you try any of those let me know.