Recipe by Sarah06 Smith
It is simple and easy to make, yet tastes so delicious!
Top Review by arb711
I've been making these for many years - they are amazing! So good that my friends call them Evil Bars and I'm not allowed to make them too often. I use toasted almonds because I prefer them to pecans - you can use anything you like. In fact you can use other things besides graham crackers - I make it with regular matzo for Passover, and it's fantastic.
The chocolate chips will melt as soon as you sprinkle them on - then you can spread them out with a knife, so that the chocolate covers more of the bar. They often don't break evenly into neat rectangles, so go for the rustic look!
- 15 whole graham crackers
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped toasted pecans
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly butter 11 x 17 inches cookie sheet.
- Arrange graham crackers side by side, edges touching, on prepared cookie sheet.
- Stir butter and brown sugar in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- Increase heat and boil 1 minute.
- Pour caramel mixture over graham crackers.
- Sprinkle with chopped toasted pecans.
- Bake until caramel topping bubbles and turns deep brown; about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over cookies.
- Cool 4 minutes.
- Cut along graham cracker edges to separate.
- Carefully transfer to rack and cool completely.
- Cut each cookie in half.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature).