Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 8 mins
I make these every Christmas and they always disappear! If there is anyone in your family or set of friends who is lactose intolerant, these are perfect.
- 2 cups finely chopped dates
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup ground pecans
- 1 cup butter flavor shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- For Filling:.
- Combine dates, granulated sugar and water in a medium saucepan; bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, stir over medium-low heat for 3 minutes or until water is absorbed and mixture is thick, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Stir in vanilla and ground nuts. Cool.
- Beat shortening, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a very large mixing bowl. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Stir together 2 cups of flour, the baking soda, cinnamon, cream of tartar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add to sugar mixture; beat well. Beat or stir in the remaining flour to make a firm dough. Divide dough into two portions; wrap and chill until easy to handle.
- Roll half of the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 13x9 inch rectangle and 1/4 inch thick. Spread with half of the filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting from one long edge. Cover the roll with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-24 hours. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Slice and roll into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place about 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven about 8 minutes or till lightly browned. Cool on wire rack. Store in tightly covered container.